There’s nothing worse than problem neighbors. After long days at work, we just want to come home and relax; when our neighbors disturb our peace it can be especially challenging. Before you hire a lawyer or list your house for sale, there are a few strategies you can employ to make things better.
- Get to Know Them Better – Take an interest in the neighbor and try to understand the issues from their end. Talk about how to resolve the differences together so you’re both happy.
- Be Proactive – If you are having a big party or scheduling some major remodeling, let your neighbors know and try to accommodate their needs as well.
- Document the Problems – Keep careful records in case you do need to address the issue legally.
- Talk With Your Other Neighbors – Seek community support and assistance. If others are having similar issues, gather their information also and gain their help.
- Talk to the City/County/HOA – Often the issues you have with your neighbors are part of a municipal code or HOA R&Rs; talk to these entities and ask for help and guidance.
- Consider Mediation – Ask your neighbor if they would be willing to go to a professional mediator to try and resolve the issues.
- Hire a Lawyer – If nothing else has worked, then it’s time to hire an attorney and deal with the issues legally.
Difficult neighbors can be a serious issue. Problems range from leaves dropping on your lawn to drug dealing. Don’t feel like you have to live with the issue or move; take steps to try and resolve and know that there are ways to solve the issues.
Ready to list your home? Or ready to upgrade to a new home? I’m happy to help! Contact me here.